Help Desk Premier can check multiple email addresses on multiple servers. Emails can also be sent from multiple email addresses. Each outgoing email account can be linked to one or more incoming mail servers.
Email servers can be added, edited, filtered and deleted from the list which is accessed by clicking Tools in the top menu or side panel, then under Email clicking “Servers”.? Click the checkbox to the left of any server, and then click “Default” ?in the toolbar to set it as the default server for your installation of Help Desk Premier.
Adding and editing email servers
Access this settings screen by clicking Tools on the top menu or the side panel, and then under “Email”, click “Servers”.
- To add a new server, click the green Add icon in the toolbar.
- To edit the details of an existing server, click the name of the server in the list.
Email Server tab
- Server Description?is a free text field which allows you to give your server settings a memorable name.
The?Inbound Server (Receive Mails)?and?Outbound Server (Send Mails)?are broadly the same:
- Server?is the address of the server, for example?mail.mycompany.com. Note that your incoming and outbound server details may be different.
- Port?defines the port for connection. For POP3 inbound mail, this will typically be port 110. For IMAP, outbound mail is typically delivered on port 143. For outbound mail (SMTP), most ISPs use port 25. ?However, your settings may vary. ?Check with your email administrator to get the correct settings for your server.
- Protocol?needs to be set to?POP?or?IMAP?according to your server settings. ?Please note that we do not directly support MAPI. ?However, in general MAPI servers are capable of supporting POP or IMAP, so you must configure your Exchange (or other MAPI) server to work with POP or IMAP before using Help Desk Premier.
- SSL Enabled?is a checkbox allowing you to use a secure connection.
- User ID?and?Password?should be set as required.?The password will be encrypted.
- Test Connection?allows you to check that your settings have been entered successfully. ?You will receive a message telling you if the connection succeeded or failed when you click this button. ?If it failed, your email parameters are not set up correctly and you should check and adjust your settings.
These settings apply to Outbound Servers only:
- Your outbound server must be SMTP. ?Only SMTP is supported for outbound email.
- Sender Name?and?Sender Email?defines your sender details.
- Auth Required?determines whether the outbound server requires a username and password.
- User Name & Password (Same as Receive Email)?allows you to choose whether the Outbound Server uses the same login information as the?Inbound Server.
- User ID & Password is used only if you are not using the “User Name & Password (Same as Receive Email)” checkbox. ?In this case, your user id and password are different for outbound email, and you should enter them here.
Receive Options tab
- Store all incoming emails in a queue for manual review and processing?retains new emails for approval. Alternatively, select the?Automatically convert email into a ticket?radio button.
- Leave Copy On Server?allows you to leave a copy of the email in the mailbox after Help Desk Premier has checked its contents. If checked,?Remove from server after Days?defines the length of time that will pass before?emails are deleted.
Ticket defaults tab
- Grant Requester Self Service Login Privileges?allows requestors who log an issue via email to log in to the Self Service Portal. The user?s email address will be set as their user name.
- Password?allows you to set a default password.?User cannot change password?prevents the user from changing this password.?User must change password at next login?forces the user to select their own password the next time they access the Portal.
- View Organization Tickets?and?View Department Tickets?control the access privileges the user will have.
- Ticket Defaults?can be used to set up custom rules based on the characteristics of the emails received. For example,?tickets created from emails could be set as a High priority or assigned to a particular category.
Tick the checkbox to enable the auto-responder for this email server. Use the fields to customise the email.
If you have already created Templates, you can select these from the?Email Template?drop-down list.?See below for more information on Email Templates.
- Include Ticket Number in the subject?includes the ticket reference number in the subject field.
- Do not send an auto response when processing a reply to an existing ticket?prevents users from receiving auto-responses to follow-up emails.
- While Handling replies regarding existing ticket?determines the action Help Desk Premier should take when a user replies to an email about their ticket. The options are?Append to Ticket Description?or?Add a Ticket Task